The featured ingredient in my Face Mask for Mature Skin is tepezcohuite. This mask is made for mature, delicate or damaged skin. Tepezcohuite is Mimosa tenuiflora (also called Mimosa Hostilis) . I picked it because of its reputation for healing and strengthening skin.
Ancient peoples have been using it topically in Brazil and southern Mexico for centuries and continue to use it today. While this is certainly not conclusive, I am impressed by its ancient reputation and provide it in my mask for us modern women to test ourselves.
Face Mask with Tepezcohuite is a bit Controversial
Actually, it’s the Tepezcohuite that is a bit controversial. In fact, Etsy shut down my listing of my Clay Face mask with Tepezcohuite because of it. They did this because tepezcohuite contains a small level of a N,N-Dimethyltryptamine – central nervous stimulant – as well as some serotonin and other related tryptamines. It is possible with a lot of work and chemical interactions to extract a drug known as DMT out of this herb.
Most people are familiar with the drug DMT in the form of Ayahuasca tea. However, it takes A LOT of Mimosa Teniflora to make the drug. For example, it takes about 100 grams of Tepezcohuite to make 1 gram of DMT. It takes 15 grams of DMT to give a person a high that lasts a couple minutes. So by my math you’d need to purchase more than 900 masks to have the amount of Tepezcohuite to make the 15 grams of DMT to experience a high. In other words, I strongly doubt the Tepezcohuite in my mask poses any risk.
Tepezcohuite is the Star but the Other Mask Ingredients are Important Supporting Characters
For certainty though, I’ve added equal amounts of herbs that are more prevalent in Western tradition and have been studied in greater depth. Comfrey root is traditionally used to heal wounds, sprains and bones. It has a high tannin content and is a good source of allantoin which helps cells regenerate and has become an ingredients added to many products for the face, hair and skin.
- Horsetail has a large amount of natural silicon, which is used by the body to strengthen hair and skin. Topical horsetail tightens skin and shrinks pores, provides nutrients, antioxidants and bioflavonoids.
- Flaxseed Oil provides fatty acids with anti-inflammatory benefits and help regenerating tissue.
- St Johns Wort is considered an anti-inflammatory ingredients as well as an antioxidant. It is said to stimulate cell regeneration.
- Rose Petals are a gentle astringent that soothes, tones and tightens skin.
- Calendula is a healing herb which calms, softens and heals while also stimulating collagen.
- Carrot powder is a natural source of retinol which boosts collagen to reduce fine lines, brighten and smooth skin
- Rosehip Oil is a balanced oil with generous amount of fatty acids, this is a wonderful oil to hydrate and nourish skin.
Recipes for Face Mask for Mature Skin
- 1 teaspoon HOT water
- 1 teaspoon dry Face Mask for Mature Skin.
You can apply once it has cooled off a little directly to your face. Leave on for 20 minutes or until dry.
You can also add the optional ingredients below if you want to get fancy and give your complexion an extra treat:
For Dry Skin:
- Add a teaspoon of egg yolk once the mixture has cooled down.
For extra Dry Skin
- Add a teaspoon of fresh, squished avocado.
For Dry Skin with Rosacea:
- Add a teaspoon of full fat yogurt.
- or check out my Face mask made for Rosacea with Quassia
Dry skin with some acne
- Add a teaspoon of crushed banana
- Or check out my Face Mask with White Willow Bark.
Dry and sensitive skin
- Add a teaspoon of honey