FACE MASK – MATURE SKIN
My face mask is for us mature ladies. I blended the best natural herbs from traditional knowledge focusing on reaping the benefits of their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory powers. This mask is the prefect self-care product for your face, feeding, cleansing and brightening your skin.
My masks can be used with water or you can get fancy and mix with your favorite natural base like yogurt, cucumber, aloe, milk or honey (or a combination. )
A little goes a long way, you only need a teaspoon of mask powder which you mix with with enough liquid for easy spreadability without overly dripping. If it is just water, I’ve found 2 or 3 teaspoons is enough. Allow to stay on skin for about 20 minutes and wash off. The Mature Mask dries on well and you might want to soak your face with a wet washcloth to re-hydrate the mask. Use once or twice a week should be enough.
ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS
- BENTONITE CLAY: Has been studied for its potential to attract and absorb toxins for skin exposed to allergens, poisons, and other skin irritants. It also contains trace minerals like potassium, iron and magnesium which probably helps clay provide an environment inhospitable to bacteria.
- TEPEZCOHUITE ( MIMOSA TENUIFLORA): A sustainable herb used traditionally in Mexico and South America to heal skin. It contains a rich complex of components that may explain it’s positive impact on skin including tannins, alkaloids, lipids and phytosterols.
- HORSETAIL: Is naturally rich in silica, which helps to form collagen while also acting as an anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant, protecting us from factors that tend to age skin.
Is a natural source of the allantoin, a popular compound in many anti-aging products. It penetrates the skin, moisturizing, smoothing, healing, regenerating and soothing inflammation.
- ST JOHNS WORT: Is traditionally used to heal and regenerate skin cells.
- FLAXSEED MEAL: Acts as a gentle exfoliant that provides Omega-3 to your skin, boosting collagen production and keeping skin soft and elastic. The lignin in Flax seed reduced oxidative stress as well
- ROSE PETALS: Are believed to help soothe the skin and mind.
- CALENDULA: A rich source of carotenoids, in studies Calendula tightened skin and improved skin elasticity, enhanced skin hydration. It was also noted that lotion with Calendula reduced age spots and decreased build up of sebum.
- GREEN TEA: Is a powerful antioxidant, rich in polyphenol & catechins. Emulsions with green tea showed to lessen wrinkles, roughness and scaliness. Additionally, green tea reduced melanin build up and improved hydration.
- CARROT POWDER: Provides Beta-Carotene to the mix of healthy things for your skin, both inside and out. Beta-carotene protects your skin from free radicals
- ROSEHIPS AND ROSEHIP OIL: Are all about the antioxidants. Including hydro-soluble and lipid-soluble antioxidants. The potential benefit of rose hips and rose hip oil is extensive and well studied. It impact on wrinkles and cell longevity is compelling (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5485961/)
FACE MASK – ROSACEA
This difficult skin condition can be difficult to treat. This face mask uses Quassia, a South American herb and one of the bitterest herb known. Studies suggest it can help greatly with Rosacea. I have also included cleansing, soothing and detoxifying ingredients.
ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS
- BENTONITE CLAY: Absorbs unwanted oil, draws out impurities and is packed with minerals.
- QUASSIA: Studies show this bitter herb to be very effective treatment for rosacea.
- OATMEAL: Soothing and relieving of irritations and itchiness.
- SPIROLINA: This anti-inflammatory ingredient contains chlorophyll which strengthens and calms the skin
- CHAMOMILE: A calming herb that reduces inflammation and cools the skin.
- NEEM: This is a gentle but very effective antimicrobial while also working to calm swelling and burning.
- ARNICA healing herb that helps with redness and inflammation
- LICORICE ROOT protects skin from flare ups, some call it a natural hydrocortisone. Also helps heals sun damage
- SEA BUCKTHORN is said to calm the immune system and prevent it from attacking healthy tissue.
- BURDOCK ROOT: Soothing anti-inflammatory and antibacterial.
- GINGER reduces inflammation.
FACE MASK – ACNE PRONE SKIN
Commercial topical acne treatments can be harsh, drying and reddening. Synthetic ingredients found in topical acne drugs are often derived from natural sources.
My acne mask is going back to the natural source of acne fighting like White Willow Bark and Wintergreen. All the ingredients provide ways of fighting acne that aren’t activated until you add liquid. This way helps keep the acne fighting components active.
As you probably know, overzealous sebum secretion is a major contributor to acne. While it is natural to create some oils, too much tends to get trapped in pores, starts developing bacteria which the skin reacts to by becoming inflamed and developing pimples.
My acne mask is meant to draw out dirt and old oils while using plant and herbs to fight bacteria and soothe inflammation.
For many, it works better and more gently than the remedies they’ve tried.
Still, it is pretty powerful so you don’t need much, just mix a teaspoon full of powder with 2 teaspoons of warm water (or liquid of your choice), Then spread it in a thin layer over your face, allow to dry and wash off.
ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS
- BENTONITE CLAY
This American mined clay works so well as a mask because it does three things very well.
- It absorbs the extra oil on your face
- It draws out pour blockages.
- It also attracts and takes in toxins that might be contributing to the bacterial growth on the face. In fact, it has been studied for its potential to attract and absorb toxins for skin exposed to allergens, poisons, and other skin irritants.
- There are many different types of clays and each contains it own unique signature mix of trace minerals like potassium, iron and magnesium which probably helps clay provide an environment inhospitable to bacteria.
- WHITE WILLOW BARK: This natural source for salicin is the grandfather of present day Salicylic acid and sodium salicylate — a palatable form of the very familiar pain reliever and anti-inflammatory medicine, aspirin. Salicylic acid is a major active ingredient in the popular but expensive skin care regimen, Proactiv.
- Salicin is good to treat acne sufferers as it not only acts as an anti-inflammatory (say goodbye to enflamed, red skin) but is also an acid which loosens extra layers of skin and allows it to be shed away instead of clogging your pores. Its presence also prevents the growth of bacteria.
- The strong relationship between White Willow bark and Aspirin means that those with allergies to aspirin should avoid ingredients containing Willow Bark, Wintergreen and Spearmint.
- LEMON BALM: This lovely and clean smelling herb has shown considerable antibacterial properties in studies and makes it an excellent choice for my face mask.
- DIATOMACEOUS EARTH: Works well as an absorber of unwanted dirt as well as a gentle exfoliator when you wash off the mask. It also provides a good source of silica to the mixture.
- WINTERGREEN:Another herb providing salicylates which are used to treat acne, are anti-inflammatories and will provide some pain relief as well.
- SPEARMINT: Has antibacterial, soothing qualities and may help hormonal and cystic acne.
- SEA BUCKTHORN POWDER: Sea Buckthorn Powder, also known as Hippophae requires further study on its usefulness for many things including as a source of nutrition as well as medicinal potential. I found this quote calling for further study printed in Scientific and Academic Publishing (http://article.sapub.org/10.5923.j.fph.20120203.02.html).
- “Rich source of natural antioxidants such as ascorbic acid, tocopherols, carotenoids, flavonoids, while they contain proteins, vitamins (especially vitamin C), minerals, lipids (mainly unsaturated fatty acids), sugars, organic acids and phytosterols. Animal and human studies suggest that sea buckthorn may have various beneficial effects: cardioprotective, anti-atherogenic, antioxidant, anti-cancer, immunomodulatory, anti-bacterial, antiviral, and wound healing and anti-inflammatory. “
- Meanwhile, we have some impressive anecdotal reports on the healing impact of sea buckthorn oil on skin, especially on damaged, scarred and burned skin. Given its high level of Vit C., I conclude that Seabuckthorn Powder would have similar benefits of a Vit C. serum on photoaging.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11896774 one study concluded that their mixture of Vit C resulted in clinically visible and statistically significant improvement in wrinkling when used topically for 12 weeks. This clinical improvement correlates with biopsy evidence of new collagen formation.
- CLOVE POWDER: Clove is known to exhibit strong analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiviral, and antiseptic activity which explains its popularity in traditional medicine.
- NEEM POWDER: One of my favorite ingredients, Neem is known as the tree of gold in India for it many uses including acting as both an antibacterial and an anti-inflammatory. Neem Powder is not oily.
- SPINACH POWDER: Has a lot of beta-carotene, which is a precursor of vitamin A. It is thought that beta-carotene increases the presence of retinyl esters on the skin. Spinach and Spirulina (below) provide abundant beta-carotene but are much milder than applications of synthetic retinoids. Vitamin A is believed to help enhance the skin’s immune system.
- SPIRULINA POWDER: Spirulina is actually richer in beta-carotene than spinach and also brings The B vitamins and has a lot of Vitamin D (a wonderful antioxidant). Not only that but Spirulina has as much calcium as a glass of milk, has a lot of iron (like Spinach) and magnesium too. One of the additional benefits of Spirulina is its bright green color which is a great color for redness.
- OLIVE LEAF POWDER: A rich source of oleuropein , this is an excellent antimicrobial and antioxidant. Studies suggest the leaf is very effective at fighting acne.
- SEA KELP: Topically it provides a lot of skin beneficial moisturizing and protective properties while providing a small but effective amount of topical iodine.
This product and the above description is not meant to claim that this mask can treat or cure your acne. The FDA protects your safety from claims of products having any medicinal benefits without scientifically recognized and approved proof.