According to www.naturallycurly.com Amodimethicone is a modified silicone polymer. Silicones are polymers that include silicon together with carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and sometimes other elements. In general, silicones are great for many uses because they:
- don’t conduct heat
- they don’t tend to react to other chemicals
- they are thought to be non-toxic
- can handle a wide range of temperatures.
- Repel water
- don’t provide a good home for bacteria.
- don’t break down easily in sun or air.
According to Cosmetic Ingredients Review Expert Panel, showed minimal or no toxicity.
It’s interesting to note that amodimethicone was tested on animals extensively, like almost all chemicals found in our food and body products. I wonder if any company that says “not tested on animal” contains this ingredient?
Modieified Silicone Polymers are considered to be among the best high-performance conditioning polymers currently available They are used to:
- Provide deep conditioning
- Provide targeted conditioning to areas of particularly damaged hair
- Protect from thermal damage
- Increase color retention
- Resist build up
- Impart gloss and shine